Addiction to drugs is a complex illness and is characterized by unimaginable and intense drug craving. It has devastating results and leads to a mess up of one’s financial, personal and social positions. The addiction starts from a simple and voluntary act of consuming drugs. Even the addicts are not aware when the intake becomes too obsessive that they cannot do without it. The addiction drugs leads to various brain problems, health issues and behavioral problems.
When the situation becomes uncontrollable and the addiction leads to overcoming a person’s life in all their personal spheres, then an inpatient drug treatment center is the only alternative which the addict has. The addiction is an insidious and chronic disease, which cannot be stopped overnight or just in a few days they need to go in for a comprehensive treatment. Moreover undergoing any ordinary treatment might not be a wise idea as well, since drug addiction overpowers one’s life and disrupts it totally.
These treatment centers have effective programs which are directed at solving various problems one by one. Some of the goals which the inpatient drug treatment centers wish to reach are as follows:
- Stop the consumption of drugs
- Maintain a life style which is totally drug free and bereft of the companions who led the victim to drugs
- Achieve optimal functioning at one’s professional life
- Improvise relationships and family life
- Addiction is a chronic and complex disease which affects the behavior and brain primarily. However the disease is curable
- Treatment needs to be customized due to varying needs and severity of the problem. Moreover, the treatment needs to be readily applied to the patient.
- Usually drug abuse leads to various other problems which include alcohol addiction, depression among others. Thus a dual diagnosis should be in place for the patient, since combating only drug addiction would not solve the problem.
- The in treatment period should be evaluated carefully since the recovery needs to be complete.
There are various principles which the inpatient drug treatment centers follows which makes their treatment wholesome and effective. These principles are well researched and are the basis of all their treatment programs for inpatients.
Usually the services and programs which are meted out at these in treatment centers for drug addicts are as follows
- Counseling is undertaken in four aspects. Firstly, there is a one to one discussion which helps the patient pour out their pent up feelings. Secondly, family programs and counseling is undertaken such that family relations are improvised. Thirdly group therapies are held which help one overcome their societal inhibitions. This proves helpful since all the addicts find it easier to relate to each other since they are in the same boat. Lastly the centers also undertake nutritional counseling which educated them about good health and fitness
- Medications are also essential which prove to be a source for physical detox
- At times, drug addicts are attacked with mental disorders as well, thus need to be treated comprehensively
- Alternative treatments like yoga, acupuncture, medication among others are held such that it provides one mental soothing and peace.
- After care treatments are very essential since relapse rate is extremely high. Moreover, it is important that the victim is not engulfed with the addiction after they return to the big, bad world!